Summit Advocates provides the community with many services to enable and protect. These are major services and programs we provide including help and educate.
24 Hour Crisis Response
We provide 24 hour in-person crisis response in English and Spanish. Our services are used by law enforcement, the local medical centers, the coroner and by individuals in the community through our crisis hot line number. We respond to:
- Domestic Violence – either in person on-scene, or as a “hot line” for people experiencing abuse or distress due to unhealthy dynamics in their relationship.
- Sexual Assault – either in person on-scene after a report to police or at the hospital, or as a “hot line” for people that have been sexually assaulted either recently or in the past.
In 2015 we responded to 270 calls to our confidential 24 hour crisis hotline.
We provide emergency safe-housing for women and children at our shelter and to men in hotels. Clients at the safe house have access to:
- Individual and group counseling
- Emergency financial assistance (transportation, prescriptions, rental assistance, etc.)
- Resources and referrals throughout Summit County
- Victim and Legal advocacy
In 2015 we provided emergency shelter to 70 victims and children for a total of 2300 nights of shelter. Annual shelter nights have tripled since we opened our current shelter in 2013.
Victim Advocacy and Legal Advocacy
As with all of our services, advocacy services are provided free of charge.
Victim Advocacy services can take on a variety of shapes depending on the needs identified by individual survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault who choose to work with us. Examples include
- Safety Planning
- Access to individual and group counseling
- Financial assistance with basic needs
- Connection to other community resources
Legal Advocacy services can include:
- Court accompaniment
- Serving as liaison for clients with law enforcement, distrci attorney, and the court system
- Assistance with civil and criminal protection order processes
- Referral to other legal services, such as immigration and domestic relations
- Under certain circumstances, legal representation of clients in dangerous situations
- General help with navigation of the legal and criminal justice systems.
Outreach and Education, including Peace Maker Program